Friday, August 26, 2011

This I Believe-Pennies From Heaven

I chose the essay Pennies From Heaven. I loved the essay as a whole, but my favorite part would have to be:

"We all watched as she deteriorated over a long, agonizing six months in and out of surgery and chemotherapy—without a complaint or a hint of self-pity. She finally succumbed one evening just before midnight in a home she loved—surrounded by her friends and family."

This talks about the hardships that Linda and he family went through while she was battling cancer. Even though she had cancer and knew her days were limited she still lived life without a complaint or a hint of self-pity. It seemed as if she didn't want people to feel sorry for her and she didn't feel sorry for herself. Linda unfortunately ended up passing away, but she was surrounded by people she loved, her friends and family.


This essay really touched me when i read it. I had read a couple of essays before this one, but i was looking for one that i could either relate to or that touched me. This essay accomplished both of these things. Cancer is something that is very near and dear to my heart. I've had a couple of family members battle cancer throughout their lives. When i was probably one or two my uncle died from skin cancer. I didn't know him very well, but it still affects me today because i never had a chance to meet him or have a relationship with him. About two years ago, September 2009, my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer, and had to have a mastectomy in October 2009. After her surgery, she had to go through six months of chemotherapy. Fortunately, she is in remission now and is on cancer medicine. Approximately three or four months after my Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, my grandma was too. She also had a mastectomy but she didn't have to go through radiation or chemotherapy. Since they have had cancer, my Mom and Grandma both are very involved with breast cancer awareness. When my Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer she actually started her own blog called Breast Cancer be damned.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, it was Stage 2, not 4! But nice job!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the excerpt you chose is really poignant. It sounds like you've got a family full of awesome women.

    ReplyDelete