Friday, September 23, 2011

H.O.P.E.

Just the term simply put, HOPE, has a lot of different meanings. When you search hope even two or three different definitions come up. Hope to every individual person can be different. Every person goes through individual struggles and situations that can define who they are and how they see things. I decided to search hope and I found two definitions that I see fit for the word. Hope is the emotional state which promotes the belief in a positive outcome related to events and circumstances in one's life. Hope can also be defined as a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen. Hope is associated with many different situations and things as well. It is seen all over the place. A lot of times people will associate hope with breast cancer. Some colleges and churches have the word hope in their names as well. Obama's slogan for his 2008 presidential campaign was even hope. Hope is a part of everyday life and lots of stuff around us. It's not a term that should be taken lightly. Whether its un-consciously or even consciously happening, every person has hope in some form or another. We, as individuals, hope to achieve something, gain something, do something, accomplish something, etc. Hope can be as simple as hoping to get the iPhone 5 when it come out, or as complex as hoping to live. Many people wouldn't get through a family tragedy, a test, a day at school or work, a disease or illness, and even life without hope. I personally would associate hope with breast cancer, because my Mom and Grandma were both diagnosed with breast cancer within 6 months of each other. Fortunately they are both survivors and can live to tell their stories, but not without hope. I believe they survived cancer because of the simple yet complex word called HOPE. Once i turn 18, i want to get a tattoo that involves a breast cancer ribbon and hope. After all, without hope a lot of us would not be where we are today.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I'm really interested in this concept of hope, too. Check out the video I posted on my blog about hope and education. I totally agree with you that it's complex.

    ReplyDelete